Meet Big Kev, a stylist with a serious sock addiction and love of classic meets modern fashion. Always looking to make a statement, he has travelled far and wide to look for great fashion inspiration only to find it here right here in SA. We asked Big Kev twenty questions to help you get to know this Crate|ov Clothes stylist.
- What is the most cherished item in your wardrobe?
A pair of Affliction jeans that I bought in the states.
- If you can give any superhero a makeover, who would it be?
Iron Man. Imagine what you could do with Tony Stark’s budget!
- What’s on your playlist right now?
Rag n Bone Man Skin.
- Who are you following on Instagram for #StyleInspo?
Luka Sabbat. He’s only twenty but his style goes beyond his years.
- What’s your number one music festival must have item?
Really comfortable statement shoes.
- What’s your favourite new trend?
Military inspired jackets and leather lace up boots.
- The one trend that should never come back is…
Round glasses. John Lennon was the only guy who could pull off that look.
- The biggest fashion sin that someone could commit is…
Thinking that skinny or slim fit jeans are girly or feminine. That usually comes from guys who don’t want to step away from their baggy jeans and sweatpants. There are many advantages to wearing jeans that hug your legs properly. You don’t wear shirts that are 3 sizes too big, so the same should go for your pants.
- What is the best basic item to have in your wardrobe?
A good quality, perfectly fitting white t-shirt.
- What’s the last thing you bought?
A new watch. I know we have phones but I believe that a watch really finishes off your outfit, makes you look more polished, helps you make a statement – and they never go out of style!
- The best thing about your job is…
Bringing the latest trends to guys of any size. Average size men have it easy but in South Africa we have smaller built guys who can’t find clothes that fit properly or bigger guys that don’t know how to adapt the latest trends to their body shape even though they really want to look on trend.
- Two things you never leave the house without would have to be…
A watch and my phone.
- South African’s have style because…
We don’t always follow the crowd. You can have a group of guys together at a restaurant in Cape Town and they’ll all be dressed completely differently. I love that.
- If you could be in one person’s head for a day, who would it be?
Online stylist and influencer, Alex Costa. He has a really practical approach to styling that I would love to know more about.
- What’s your secret fashion shame?
Black v-necks. I have about 20 in my cupboard, most of them are faded and stretched but when I’m at home that’s pretty much all I wear.
- What’s your guilty fashion pleasure?
Crazy socks. I can’t walk past them without buying at least one pair and I’m starting to run out of space to store them.
- What’s your favourite recent red carpet outfit – who was it and what were they wearing?
Idris Elba at the premiere of his new film Yardie. This was the first film that he directed rather than starred in so he dressed down and went for a casual look that was such a huge contrast to the suits he has worn previously at premieres of films he’s starred in. Such a great example of how your outfit can show how you are feeling and where you are in your life right now.
- On your day off, you are most likely…
To be at the gym or hanging out with friends.
- What inspired you to get into the fashion industry?
I’ve always loved clothes. From when I was teenager I would try to put really insane, creative outfits together and felt great when I turned heads walking down the street. When I got older, people started asking me for advice on style and putting outfits together and one day I thought; “I could really make a living doing this professionally.”
- A great outfit is good for the soul because…
Girls, your employer, and everyone else important in your life really DO care what you look like. Put your best foot forward and it might just open doors.